Monday 24 December 2012

Notice the Background

Merry Christmas everyone! Well technically it's Christmas Eve so it doesn't really count as Christmas DAY quite yet. But for our purposes we'll just generalize Christmas. So Merry Christmas in general. But I had a thought. And most of the time, when I have a thought, I blog about it or do something writing wise with it. But I was thinking about Christmas and it being the birth of Jesus Christ. So many times--well mostly every single time--when we think of Jesus' birth we think of Jesus (of course) and then our minds automatically drift to Mary. I mean why shouldn't they? Makes more sense than anything! The young woman who carried the Messiah in her womb for nine months has finally given birth to the Light of the world. But while Mary and Jesus serve as the two main protagonists we see a very important character slip by the wayside. Does anyone ever think of Joseph? I mean I know the Bible speaks very little about him but I would like to think he was very important. He wasn't able to be Jesus' FATHER but he served the role of "dad." He got to be the daddy that Jesus could run to when he banged his knee or he was the dad who got to teach Him things. Albeit, Jesus probably didn't need it but think of how Joseph might've felt. He had no idea what he was going to do. Think about it. His fiance becomes pregnant. Alright so right off the bat that not only has to be embarrassing to him but it's also gotta hit him pride wise. HIS fiance whom HE was going marry and reproduce with has suddenly become pregnant by other means? Come on cut the guy some slack. The only thing he could probably think of was to call it off. But no. The Lord told him to not worry about it and to marry her anyways. So when he found out his wife's child was going to be the MESSIAH, he must've felt this sudden weight against his chest. Almost like he couldn't breathe. But you also have to take into account how he must've felt when the enemy would try and sneak sorrow into his heart by telling him that yeah he was going to be "dada" but he would never be Jesus' father. Mary had to be under some SERIOUS spiritual warfare but I don't think Joseph got out without a scrape. The devil had to be comin at him hard seeing as he was the "head of the household." Can you imagine the thoughts that would've been going through his head. Not my son. Not his father. He's the Messiah. What could I do for Him? What good am I to Him? And all the time, he had to be strong. He had to be Mary's stronghold; her support. He had to be there for her and the child which she carried. And then can you imagine if he was around for the crucifixion? Can you imagine the defeat he might've felt? I have failed You. The enemy might've put the thought back into head. See? You were never good enough to be His "dad" because now look at where He is. So yeah. You know what? I think we should recognize Mary for who she was. I think we should DEFINITELY recognize Jesus for who He is and what He did. But I think that while we celebrate this Christmas season that we not forget about the dad; the stronghold; the man who was under attack yet stayed silent. So silent that he was in a few places in the Bible before God took him home. And can you imagine that welcoming? "Welcome, Joseph. The one who took care of My Son. Enter into your rest." I think we should always see what's in the background. Who knows? We might be missing something vitally important.

No comments:

Post a Comment