Wednesday 21 January 2015

What REALLY happened on my 21st Birthday.


Chances are you clicked on this link because of the caption. Maybe you thought, “Oh I’d love to know what REALLY went down on Abbie’s 21st birthday.” Well if you’re expecting the typical “I got super wasted and can’t remember a thing and woke up with a hangover” story, then I apologize for disappointing you but this story is not it. You can leave now if you want, I won’t be offended. But for the few that are genuinely curious about what really happened on my 21st birthday then by all means, pull up a chair, grab a cup of coffee, and continue reading. I promise this won’t disappoint.

So 21 is THE birthday. It’s the birthday you become a full adult (with the exception of renting a car…ugh).  So what did I do on my 21st birthday? I went to work. I did an 8 hour work shift which was actually a lot of fun. Then I went to dinner with my parents and enjoyed the liberty of walking into a restaurant that you had to be 21 to enter. And then I went home and had my own personal Scooby Doo marathon before falling asleep on the couch of my apartment. Honestly, it was a perfect day. But there was a moment during all of it that I was asked a question; by my mother no less. She’s notorious for getting into my soul…in a good way though. But she asked me half way through dinner, “Are you where you wanted to be when you turned 21?” I could almost immediately answer her “NO.” Her face subtly registered confusion as she said, “Why?” Now for you to understand how strongly I feel about this next statement I need to give you some back story.

I went to college in California and California was my escape. I hated living where I was and all I wanted to do was run. And for me, running away looked a lot like California. It was the safe haven for my heart. I swore I was never coming back to Washington or to Tacoma or Vashon or any part. I wouldn’t do it because then I was in a box and if I was in a box then my heart wouldn’t be able to live. And that, to me, was worse than death. I remember crying on the way home from school once I had graduated because I thought, surely there could be nothing back in Washington for me. Now the cool thing about being a Jesus person is you come to a point where you find that your life is not your own and as badly as you want to control it, you can’t. And the thing you start to realize is that the Lord has the greatest plans for you. He’s never out to give you the worst go at it. It gets difficult when we try to take it all out of His hands and do it ourselves. It always gets messy when we do that. And while the Lord made something beautiful out of California, I know now that California was just me taking my life into my own hands and not leaving it in the Lord’s hands. Coming back to Washington was always His plan. Never once was I meant to stay in California. He knew that. He was just waiting for me to catch up.

So when my mom asked me if I was where I wanted to be at the age of 21 I answered no. Because honestly? I HAD WANTED to be California. I HAD WANTED to be travelling the world. I HAD WANTED to be still running. But if I were to still be in California, I would still be running. I would still be leaving every place where I truly belonged. I would be outside the will of the Father. And the crazy thing is, about a year ago, I had prayed the very frightening prayer of “Lord, please, before anything else in this world I want to be in the MIDDLE of your will for my life.” I believe the saying goes a little something like, “Be careful what you wish for because you just might get it.” In this sense it’s not necessarily “be careful.” I could almost say “Be thankful with what you wish for because you just might get it.” Bringing me back to Washington could not have been a better plan. My life has changed since the moment I crossed that state line coming home in May. And it’s changed for the BETTER.

I suppose if there was one thing I could tell my younger self, I would set her down and give her a cup of coffee (or tea…but I think she was a coffee drinker at the time) and tell her the importance of placing her entire life in the hands of the One who created it. I know she wouldn’t get it and she’d just be irritated at me for saying it. But I suppose the most important thing is to look at where I was and the condition of my heart and to be unutterably grateful for the Lord changing it as quickly as He did.

I can only look at my life right now and be astounded at what has become of it. I can only be thankful for who the Lord has created me to be and for providing the right people in my life to show me that path. And He even showed me that path Himself. My expression of my heart through my 21st year is amazement, because honestly, none of this should have happened. I was too stubborn to want any of this to happen. The cry of my heart was “Give me California or give me death!” Now the cry of my heart is “Lord. I want to be in the center of your will.” And I think that’s where I am right now. So the answer was no. I am not where I HAD WANTED to be. But I can tell you with the sincerest of hearts, this is where I WANT to be at 21. The Lord brought me home. And there’s no place I’d rather be.

 
Sincerely,
Me.

No comments:

Post a Comment